Linear Encoders for Length Measurement
Whether you’re after straight-line measurement to a known standard—accuracy—reproducing an outcome in unchanged conditions—repeatability—precision to the smallest increments at speed—resolution—or all three, no one can match the performance of HEIDENHAIN linear encoders.
Several varieties are available, all boasting legendary HEIDENHAIN quality:
- Absolute versions that provide unique position at all times, including when powered on and off, and incremental versions that generate an output signal each time a marker/gradient is crossed. The markings, or signal periods, on incremental encoder scales are spaced evenly apart, while absolute encoders use more complex patterns to sign specific location
- Sealed or enclosed linear encoder designs allow for design flexibility based on the environment. Where contaminant levels are high, sealed encoders with the highest IP ratings protect the delicate components of the encoder to ensure lasting performance. Where contamination is less of a factor, exposed encoders are an option.
- Proper mounting of encoders is also crucial to performance. The mounting tolerances of exposed linear encoders from HEIDENHAIN have only a slight influence on the output signals. In particular, the specified distance tolerance between the scale and scanning head (scanning gap) causes only a negligible change in the signal amplitude. This variety makes HEIDENHAIN the source for nearly any application—including machine tools, semiconductor machines and medical machines—combating the biggest issues that erode precision and production.
Why HEIDENHAIN linear encoders?
- Thermal expansion, deformation of drive mechanics or screw pitch issues are common, especially in machine tools. HEIDENHAIN encoders can help compensate for these kinds of physical changes that affect tool position and result in bad parts.
- High long-term speed stability.
- Vibration can cause any number of problems, depending on the application, from unnecessary heat in always-on applications to imprecise outputs in metalworking. HEIDENHAIN linear encoders have rigidity built in, with high resistance to vibration.
- The signal periods HEIDENHAIN offer are the finest in the world, offering highest interpolation accuracy available.
- In many cases, complex systems do not have a lot of space to spare. HEIDENHAIN offers compact, lightweight linear encoders with easy-install options that still maintain extreme rigidity.
- Backed by more than a century of innovation—tried and true the world over—HEIDENHAIN linear encoders are durable and dependable, even after many years of operation.
Need help finding the right encoder? Try our Encoder Selector now.
New LIC 3100 Expands Kit Encoder Series
SCHAUMBURG, IL (January 2021) – HEIDENHAIN is proud to introduce a new high accuracy motion feedback encoder that can now be used for absolute positioning in machines in the semiconductor, metrology and robotic industries. This new LIC 3100 absolute kit encoder is an additional offering that fits between HEIDENHAIN’s already successful LIC 4100 and 2100 […]
HEIDENHAIN to Exhibit at SLAS2021 Digital
SAN JOSE, CA (January 2021) — HEIDENHAIN is proud to showcase motion control enabling technologies at the upcoming SLAS2021 digital exposition on January 25-27. This annual global conference and expo by SLAS (Society of Lab Automation and Screening) welcomes scientists, engineers and business leaders from academia, government and industry to immerse themselves in the latest […]
New ACU-RITE Technology Education Center
SCHAUMBURG, IL (December 2020) – Continuing to emphasize its Customer First initiative during these uncertain times, HEIDENHAIN announces the opening of a new ACU-RITE Technology Education Center in the Chicago suburbs. This new ACU-RITE Technology Education Center (ATEC) is now open with the promise of providing special support to its North American customers and prospects […]